Recycling in Hays County, Texas - Staying Green and Clean Yields Greenbacks for the County, and Funds Services for Hays County Residents

Recycled materials taken to the transfer station are sold by the county; profits help fund county services, benefitting the earth, the county, and Hays County residents.

updated 6.22.2017
The Hays County recycling program now serves about 78,500 county residents outside San Marcos. Recently the city of San Marcos and Hays County have partnered to provide household hazardous waste disposal free of charge to Hays County Residents. Tuesdays and Fridays 12:00-3:30 at their municipal yard on Hopkins. Click here for more hazardous waste disposal information.

Even in the areas where there is no collection service offered for recyclables, areas that include most of the county, options for recycling are available for anyone who can get to a county transfer station. The county's two trash collection stations do accept glass, newspaper, aluminum cans, plastic milk jugs and soda bottles, corrugated cardboard, scrap metal, used motor oil, filters, antifreeze and auto batteries. Used clothes are also accepted for donation to Goodwill industries.

The Green Guy in San Marcos offers a convenient and 100% free way to drop off recyclables. Located just before the WalMart, The Green Guy accepts and recycles paper, cardboard, scrap metal, plastic and glass bottles, and many other items. They also pay for aluminum cans, copper, brass and some other recyclables. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you can't beat the convenience if you're already going to San Marcos for groceries or other chores.

The Hays County recycling program is a good start, although no household hazardous waste, including paint, is accepted at either transfer station.

The benefits of recycling include even more than helping lower our carbon footprint... the county is beginning to show a profit with the program. Hays County has partnered with Blanco County to crush the glass for use in paving roads. The county receives $60 and $15 per ton for cardboard and newspaper. Scrap metal brings $20 per ton from a company in New Braunfels.

There is no charge for recycling at the county transfer stations. Recyclables can be taken to either of the following two transfer stations. The Wimberley - Hays Transfer Station is open open Tuesday-Saturday, closed Sunday Monday, from 8 AM to 4 PM.
The Dripping Springs - FM 150 in Driftwood is open every day except Sundays and Mondays from 8 AM to 4 PM.

1. Wimberley - Hays County Transfer Station, 1691 Carney Lane, End of County Road 278. Telephone is 512-618-7175.

2. Dripping Springs - FM 150 at Darden Hill Road (Country Road 162), Precinct 4 Yard, 20290 FM 150 West, Driftwood. Telephone is 512-216-5235.

Items that can be recycled include newspapers, all colors of glass jars and bottles, cardboard, magazines, plastic bottles with necks (HDPE #2, used for milk and laundry detergent), PETE #1, colored and natural used for water and soda, tin cans, aluminum cans, automobile batteries, motor oil, used oil filters, used anti-freeze, and batteries.

Please remove lids and place into correct bins. An attendant will be on hand for questions.

How items are to be recycled:

  • Corrugated Cardboard: Flatten into areas no larger than 3 square feet. (Placed into baler)
  • Newspaper, magazines, computer printouts, white & colored printed paper, notebook paper, file folders, fax, junk mail, white page paperbacks, etc. No cardboard or chipboard (i.e. beer and cereal boxes). Please place into Yellow and Green Boxes.
  • Glass (jars & bottles only). All colors go into blue containers. Absolutely no lids or caps.
  • Plastics. Divide by type (1 and 2 only) and place into separate marked containers.
  • Tin Cans - Rinse, flatten, and place into marked blue container.
  • Aluminum cans - Rinse, flatten, and place into marked blue container.
  • Automobile batteries - Be sure to protect your hands and car/truck interior from battery acid that may be around the terminals.
  • Used motor oil - Motor oil only, no water, gasoline, solvents, or other liquids.
  • Used oil filters - Punch a hole in the top and drain for a minimum of 24 hours. Remove from box, plastic, etc., and put into black barrel marked "Used Oil Filters."
  • Used antifreeze - Pour into black barrel marked "Used Anti-Freeze."

Items that are not accepted at this time include chipboard (soda, beer cartons, cereal boxes), butter and sour cream tubs, styrofoam, plastic bags, syrup, ketchup and jelly jars.