Click for home

Brought to you by DigiMuse

Wimberley Area Events Calendar Submissions - Click here!
 
THE WINTERS-WIMBERLEY HOUSE





Situated on Wimberley's central promontory overlooking its most appealing resource, the Cypress Creek fork of the Blanco River, the Winters-Wimberley House is a priceless legacy of our village history. William Carvin Winters built Wimberley's oldest documented stone cottage at about the same time family friend Sam Houston announced his candidacy for governor, around 1857-1858. Built at a time when most local homes were made of log or wood frame, hand-cut stone walls eighteen inches thick suggest a good measure of the owner's prosperity.

This cottage of classic early Texas design represents one of the area's best examples of stone construction.

Years after walking to Mexican Texas with his family, Winters became a significant landholder, a soldier, and a builder of fine furniture. He bought his mill site along Cypress Creek in 1856.

Winters' milling operation became so successful that the small trading post once known as Glendale soon became known as Winters' Mill. His exceptional furniture making skill won him the honor of making much of the furniture for the 1859 State Capitol. 

Porch of the Winters-Wimberley House

Although Winters' furniture burned along with the building in 1881, a surviving example is on exhibit at the Star of the Republic Museum at Washington-on-the-Brazos.

Within the framework of cultural diversity in the period, Williams lived under four flags...as an 1834 Mexican colonist, a citizen of the Texas Republic, a member of the Confederacy, and finally as a United States citizen.

Winters died in 1864, and in 1874 his son-in-law, John Cude, sold the mill and 200 acres to Pleasant Wimberley for $8,000 in gold coin. Wimberley further expanded the milling industry by adding a cotton gin and sorghum molasses operation. The name of the village changed to Wimberley's Mill to reflect the new owner. In 1880 the U.S. Postmaster shortened the name to Wimberley. The Wimberley Mill finally closed in 1925.

The property was purchased by the Wimberley Senior Citizens Activities Inc. through the enthusiastic support of the community and with help from grants from the Meadows Foundation, the Houston Endowment, and the Burdine Johnson Foundation. The Winters-Wimberley House is leased to the Wimberley Institute of Cultures for development as a cultural and educational center and as a meeting facility for the community. It is now undergoing restoration, and serves all Wimberley's citizens.


Click here to join the forums...
Click the butterfly
to talk about it in the forums!


VISITWIMBERLEY.COM
© 1999 - 2017, All rights reserved